Not Perishable

"......they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable" 1 Cor. 9:25..............finding imperishable things in perishable places

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Thursday, January 26, 2006

"Flossing" and Truth Telling

2 years ago, my son (9 at the time) was clearly upset one night at bedtime. When we were about to have our little prayer time with him, he said "please ask God to forgive me for lying".

He went on to explain that he had lied to the dentist earlier that day. The dentist had asked "have you been flossing regularly?" He said "yes". He actually had been flossing periodically, but he didn't feel like he was "regular".

When we finished our prayer time, he said with fear in his voice - "I think God wants me to go to the dentist to tell him I lied and ask him for forgiveness." What does a parent say to that? Nice sentiment son, but life's busy this week, I don't think we can swing it. Nah, we would get him there next day, for sure.

Of course, that next morning, his little heart wasn't quite so willing. "Maybe it's not that big of a deal, dad", he said. The reality of what it would feel like to walk into the office - up to the counter and ask to see the dentist was beginning to sink in. "Mom will be there with you buddy, it'll be alright - I don't think God changed His mind since last night". He nodded in agreement, but he was going to be dreading it all day.

My wife took him in there after school........and it went as scripted. One of the hygenists even teared up when she saw his heart felt honesty and request for forgiveness.

My son had some how turned the recurring sin of every American with or without 12-year old molars into a redemptive moment. Honesty, especially when it is accompanied by a sincere request for forgiveness is a foreign thing in our culture. After reflecting on this story, I'm reminded anew that I have ample opportunity to "do the right thing" daily - and make a difference.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really cool.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...if the very first posting I read on a fella's site can make me tear up, the site gets automatically bookmarked!

You're obviously doing a great job as a parent.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Benjamin P. Glaser said...

That is a great story. My wife and I are expecting our first child this summer and I hope that our child will have that much faith.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so happy to find your blog and I look every day for an update, but there is none! How is everything on your end?

2:11 PM  
Blogger Destination...Gloryland! said...

Wow! I pray that our children will have the same sensitivity to sin. It seems that at this point, our children are 5, 4 and 1, we see little fruit to our labors of training and praying. I appreciate the encouragement of your testimony.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

POST SOMETHING!!!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Kenny Simpson said...

Very good kid. I remember my mom making me take back a stick of glue I stole as a 8 year old. I thought I would go to jail.
Thanks for the thoughts on my blog...

9:19 AM  
Blogger Jamey said...

Obviously your son has seen you and your wife do the right thing more than once in order for him to want to rectify his wrong.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good story, hopefully your son will carry this attitude as he goes on into adolesence

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home